Thursday, August 24, 2006

squeezing...

I'm in the last few days of my summer vacation, and trying to have some fun before getting back into meetings and organizing my room for the upcoming school year.


I was FTF, first to find, on a new geocache yesterday between Tupper Lake and Long Lake. The geocache was underwater, and required my using a mask and snorkel and tethered float (as seen below).


After the hydrocache, I headed up to Canton and did some caches in the area, including one on the campus of St. Lawrence University (my alma mater)...Zeke and I had a great time on the Avenue of the Elms...I ended up finding 4 geocaches, and not-finding 2...


Today, I went after 2 more geocaches North of me...the first was a canoe-cache on Rainbow Lake with a great paddle and lots of wildlife to be seen...Zeke was a bit sore from the day before, so he slept in the car while I paddled...


The day was beautiful and the water was still...I heard loons, watched herons, chased ducks (a bit...I'm not a saint...)...


These ducks were certain that they were invisible to me, and perfectly camouflaged as bumps at the end of a log...I floated to within about 5 feet of them...


My solo-boat has served me perfectly for 12 years, and brought me flawlessly to the best swimming spot in this hidden body of water...


The campsite near the geocache was littered with toilet-paper from inconsiderate campers...so I made use of a cathole, and posted a brief tutorial on catholing (along with the coordinates for my cathole, so interested parties can check on the viability/sustainability of my method)...the above shows the cathole, post-use...


There are the remains of an old bridge near the geocache site, and I paddled around the island a bit before returning to the car...I met Gail for lunch at the Paul Smiths College, at their new student center on the waterfront...after lunch, I found another cache before heading home...I'll be going out for 4 or 5 more geocaches tomorrow...hopefully...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, spectacular photos! I am not familiar with the term "cathole." In a future posting, could you please elucidate? I have an idea, of course, by the context, but would like to know exactly what the definition is. I could not find it in the dictionary. Thank you.