Thursday, February 07, 2008

Snowday!!!

I got the call at about 5:15 am this morning, and did the traditional "snowday dance" for an audience of one (Cedar followed me out to the phone, in the hope of getting his breakfast early)...we got about a foot of snow...


Ben and I spent a mellow early morning inside waiting for the snow and wind to stop...we went out to play in the snow mid-morning and spent some time exploring and jumping off of the mountains made by our plow-king this morning...


The game we finally settled on, which has daddy feeling a bit stiff tonight, was trying to see how far I could throw him from the driveway and into the virgin snow...above you can see launch #47, which was a pretty good one...about 10-12 horizontal feet (you can see the virgin snow between him and the driveway...

He had a great time with this as you can see by the numerous impact craters behind him...he shrieked with delight in the air, woofed in a cloud of snow on landing, and then rolled around liked a flipped turtle for a while before being able to right himself and crawl out of the (for him) waist-deep snow...




This is after patting himself "clean" between launches...


Another view of another landing...this one was closer to 15 feet out!


After getting the biggest chunks of snow out of his boots and gloves, we headed into town to play at the Ice Castle...this time I went through the "Mole Hole"...a tunnel through the heart of the ice-block structure...I took this picture from about halfway through...


Even after some damage due to rain and thawing and being buried under a foot of new snow, the castle is still impressive...


Ben and I walked around the Ice Castle, looking for fishes and plants frozen into the huge blocks of ice...after that we went for a drive-thru lunch at McD's...


We went home to eat, changed the wet parts of our winter outfits for drier stuff, and then headed over to Mt. Pisgah for a couple of hours of skiing...he did a great job today, learning from mistakes and getting better control of his skis and turns...he is still hesitant/nervous about getting up after he falls, but I think that the biggest part of this is getting me to be a bit more of a hardass than I currently am...


We had a great time at Pisgah, and a great day...I'm thinking about a hot shower to fix my back up a bit after Ben-hurling, and am working my way through the world's biggest veggie platter (we got it for a party at Ben's school that was supposed to happen today...yes, we're those parents...) as I type this...

No comments: