Thursday, November 08, 2007

I love my job...

I work with 6th graders, and in our school the 6th graders cannot participate in the athletic programs...to combat this shortcoming, we take turns offering other activities...today I spent some time getting ready for a couple of weeks worth of GPS fun and games...


I spent most of the day in important (I keep telling myself) SPED meetings, and then snuck out at 2pm to try and beat the darkness...I had my hugest backpack loaded with 26 containers that I would spread out in 5 course of 5 containers (plus 1 pseudo-geocache with trade items and a logbook)...


I drove over to North Country School (also known as Camp Treetops), a private school during the school year and summer camp in summer...I spent 4 great summers here as a kid, and it was neat to come back for a visit...our 6th graders will be joining some North Country School students for the fun and games...


The containers for this activity are screw top tupperware jars with explanatory notes and crayons that they kids will use with check-sheets to show that they found the right containers in the right order...you can also see the demo-cache...


It was a gorgeous day to wander around their huge campus, light cover of snow, chilly air, clear sky, no wind...perfect...


My looping hike took me down to the waterfront center, where we would swim and boat (even on that July 4th almost 30 years ago when it snowed...yes...they still made us go swimming)...I spent too much time looking around at everything, remembering everything as having been bigger...


It was a great way to spend an afternoon, but it was getting colder by the minute...so I kept moving along and hiding jars here and there in the woods and in one case next to a huge glacial erratic (I've got a thing for erratics, and the Adirondacks is chock full of them)...


On the way out I noticed the cute sign over by the barn...I had a moment, remembering the horses...I hated (and was horrible at) riding, which we had to endure once each week...


Luckily, there were tons of sheep and a llama to cheer me up and make enough funny noises to help me forget my childhood trauma...looking past the fun beasties, I was reminded of working the honey-wagon inside, and the compost pile adjacent to, the big barn in the background...which was more fun than it might sound like...


The sheep and llama kept making funny noises at me, so I took another picture of them...


On the way back towards Lake Placid and home, I drove by the closing of the day's nice light over the High Peaks...


I passed the ski jumps a minute later, snapping this picture on the fly...I only swerved a little, and the policeman waiting right there for speeding tourists must have been sleeping, because he didn't snag me...


The school that I work at, Lake Placid Middle/High School, is situated on the Sheffield Speed Skating Oval (no relation), where Eric Heiden won his 5 gold medals in 1980, and across the street from the hockey arena where the "Miracle on Ice" took place...my room is the center window (and the one to the left of that one) on the 3rd floor...pretty sweet digs huh?


On top of the awesomeness of my day, I got paid for my time playing in the woods this afternoon...feeling flush with my easily-gotten gains, I treated myself to a venti vanilla latte...I love having a Starbucks in the town where I work...


On the way home, I filled up my Element with pricey gas and got some nice beverages (both can be improved/dressed-up with bourbon) for the special 2-hour CSI...


To put a yummy-fatty ribbon around the whole afternoon/evening, I stopped by the best Chinese restaurant in Saranac Lake (the other one is known, by us, as "the shitty Chinese restaurant", and it's not just a clever name)...

I'm heading upstairs now to make us some cocktails, tomorrow signals the beginning of a long weekend, we're heading down to CT to see my folks and sister, and I had a fun day at work...

No comments: