Saturday, November 01, 2008

My New Canoe

Ben and I headed south and out of the snowbowl that is the tri-lakes region today to pick up my new Hornbeck canoe...




We stopped in Long Lake to play in Ben's favorite playground...


We ate lunch at the Long Lake Diner, and afterwards saw this deer right outside the restaurant, behind our car...Penny, the perfect puppy, hadn't noticed...


We headed down to Olmstedville to pick up the boat, which they had to make for me, because they don't generally have the size that I was interested in on hand (14 foot solo boat)...they measured me for the seat and for the foot-pegs...


Peter Hornbeck, the designer and originator and maker of Hornbeck boats in general, and my boat specifically, signed my boat with an engraving tool, "Built for Jamie Sheffield by Peter Hornbeck", he also did a beautiful hand-drawing of a loon...


After leaving the Hornbeck offices, we drove over and explored Tahawus, a ghost-town near Newcomb...this huge old blast furnace is around 150 years old...



On the way back home, we stopped off to play in the playground Long Lake again...it was a really nice day...sunny and warmish and my new boat is beyond awesome!

No comments: